Title: Backend Systems Services Developer
Req Number: 00034605
Location: Chandler, AZ
Pearson has one defining goal: to help people progress in their lives through learning. We champion innovation and we invest in models for education that deliver on our promise for effective, accessible, and personal learning from early literacy, college and career readiness to professional education, through data informed instruction and inventive applications for mobile and digital learning.
Pearson, the world’s leading learning company, has global-reach and market leading businesses in education, business, and consumer publishing and is listed on the London and New York stock exchanges (UK: PSON; NYSE: PSO). For more information, www.pearson.com.
Pearson is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/V/D, and a member of E-Verify.
The Backend Systems Services Developer’s primary responsibility is the successful systematic design, coding, and maintenance of the Content Management and other backend systems of customer facing online systems and support tools used by Pearson’s School Group division. He/she follows the lead of the Director, Systems Development, but has the expertise to work and present independently. The Backend Systems Services Developer must have a thorough understanding in requirements analysis and backend system design methodology. The Backend Systems Services Developer works with and directs other developers to build and implement proprietary content and data management systems used to deliver services to Pearson School Group customers.
- Work closely with various functional managers and other members of the Development team to develop detailed specification documents with clear project deliverables and timelines, and to ensure timely completion of deliverables.
- Design and code dynamically driven websites.
- Design and develop all backend system technologies
- Demonstrate proficiency with physical and logical database design.
- Produce project estimates, including expertise required in selecting appropriate building tools.
- Attend related project meetings with various functional groups represented. At times, lead the meeting.
- Work with functional representatives to build and refine graphic designs for websites.
- Convert raw images and layouts from a graphic designer into CSS/XHTML themes.
- Determine appropriate architecture, and other technical solutions, and make relevant recommendations to clients.
- Communicate with the project team with efficiency and accuracy any progress and/or delays.
- Engage in outside-the-box thinking to provide high value of service to clients.
- Alert colleagues to emerging technologies or applications and the opportunities to integrate them into operations and activities.
- Experience with Coldfusion required
- Experience with PHP Required
- Experience with .NET and J2EE preferred
- Experience with Database design and development required
- Demonstrated understanding of Cascading Stylesheets (CSS)
- Understanding of User Centered Design
- Sound understanding of layout and Graphical User Interface design and presentation principles
- Online portfolio or include URL(s) of work cited on resume
- Consistently look for ways to innovate through web technology to enhance service and to lower costs
- Maintain integrity of all confidential information
- Object oriented design principles required.
- Develops prototype and product specifications.
- Database Technologies ‘Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL
- Experience with code review and documentation.
- Strong results orientation, with demonstrated ability to work with minimal supervision and complete projects within defined timelines
- Excellent verbal, and written communication skills; ability to work and effectively communicate technology with stakeholders, and problem solving ability
- Enthusiasm for providing exceptional service and exceeding customer expectations
FORMAL EDUCATION OR EQUIVALENT
- B.S. Degree or equivalent experience
Pearson Digital Learning