Apple has rolled out iOS 7 and in a few days the new devices iPhone 5S and iPhone 5C . As expected Apple has publish just 10% of the necessary information for web developers and I can say without fear of mistake that this is the buggiest Safari version since 1.0. In this post I’ll show you the new APIs and abilities and most of the problems that you will need to deal with right now if you have a website or a webapp.
Don’t have time for reading the long post?
- UI Changes: problems with new full-screen navigation, new home screen icon sizes; no <title> usage on iPhone; possible conflicts with new gestures.
- New devices: nothing new about them for web developers, same as iPhone 5.
- HTML5 markup: video tracks, <progress>, REMOVED support for input type=datetime
- HTML5 APIs: Page Visibility, AirPlay API, canvas enhancements, REMOVED support for Shared Workers, Web Speech Synthesis API, unprefixed Web Audio and Animation Timing, Mutation Observer and other minor additions. BIG PROBLEM with WebSQL using more than 5Mb.
- CSS: Regions, Sticky position, FlexBox, ClipPath, unprefixed Transitions and other enhancements
- Home Screen webapps: SEVERAL SEVERE PROBLEMS (for example, no alert support!)