This role is both user-facing and involves technical implementation. The Solution Developer will produce web applications for MSI’s clients in the U.S. and around the world to assist our global partners in their work in the field of international development. The successful candidate must be able to understand business functional requirements and technical platform capabilities, synthesize the requirements and capabilities into functional specifications, prepare technical specifications, and develop and test the final product. The solutions will be multi-user web-based data management applications based on either ColdFusion 9 or Spring 3/Webflow 2 with a SQL Server 2008 backend. Work will be conducted at MSI’s headquarters in Washington, D.C., in a fast-paced but fun environment.
The technical interview process for this position is rigorous, including hands-on programming problems.
- Work with business end-users to develop requirements for web applications;
- Develop solutions based on functional requirements and project objectives;
- Conduct design, development, customization, testing, and integration efforts to deploy these solutions;
- Work with colleagues to identify opportunities for reuse and refactoring across the portfolio of deployed applications;
- Manage and respond to requests for change and defect resolution according to defined processes;
- Evaluate and incorporate emerging standards, best practices, and new technologies;
- Participate in defining, using, and improving an agile project management process.
- Bachelor’s degree;
- Minimum 5 years of strong experience with enterprise relational database products including ER modeling, and developing multi-table join queries, views, and stored procedures;
- Minimum 5 years of hands on experience developing complex web applications on ColdFusionMX (6+) and MS SQL Server (2005+) in a team;
- Experience with version control systems (we use SVN).